Are you a dynamic and accomplished fundraiser, communicator and manager yearning to make a difference on climate change, habitat loss, and other threats to wildlife and people? We are looking for a curious, smart, collaborative, enthusiastic, and experienced leader to head our Advancement Team and increase funding for a growing conservation science non-profit working on the most urgent environmental challenges of our time.
The Advancement Director (AD) manages and directs Point Blue’s development efforts by leading collaborative planning, implementation, and regular assessment of fundraising strategies to support our climate-smart conservation vision and goals. The AD oversees a team of five full-time staff to grow and cultivate major donors, planned giving, institutional fundraising, and donor and member engagement. The AD also works closely with the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Science Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Director of Communications, program Group Directors and Advancement Operations Manager, as well as the Board of Directors. Priorities include growing our major donor pipeline, increasing unrestricted giving and increasing planned giving. The AD reports to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
The AD is responsible for jointly raising approximately 50% of Point Blue’s annual budget (currently approximately $13 million), supporting science and technical fundraising for the other half led by program staff, and doubling unrestricted giving to roughly $2 million/year by 2020. S/he will collaboratively develop and manage targeted funding campaigns around Point Blue’s top priorities. The AD will have a demonstrated commitment to and passion for conservation, integrity and excellence, reflective of Point Blue’s core values so essential to our success.
The AD will implement and manage a diversified development program including individual philanthropy; foundation, government agency and corporate relations as well as proposal development, solicitation, and reporting; annual donor and member giving programs; community engagement; and special events. Working in collaboration with staff and board, s/he will:
- Direct and actively participate in major donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, and ongoing stewardship; grow the major donor pipeline.
- Oversee the development, implementation, management, tracking and assessment of annual fundraising plans with specific and measureable metrics to meet budget goals.
- Assess and update Point Blue’s five-year Strategic Advancement plan periodically.
- Manage and strengthen a high level Advancement team, including 2 Directors of Individual Giving (major gifts), Director of Institutional Relations, Science Grant Writer, and Community Engagement Manager. Note that the Advancement Operations Manager reports to the Director of Operations but provides support to the Advancement Team.
- Grow our planned giving program to increase Point Blue’s unrestricted reserve funds.
- Oversee planning and implementation of donor events including recognition and appreciation events for major donors, planned giving donors and others.
- Oversee the management of Point Blue’s donor and community engagement programs.
- Serve on and collaborate closely with Point Blue’s Management Team.
- Participate in Point Blue Board of Directors meetings and manage the Board Advancement Committee to identify, coordinate and implement fundraising activities;
- Build positive and nurturing working relations with staff, board members, major donors, foundation representatives and others to reflect the quality and excellence of Point Blue’s science and our commitment to high performance teaming and partnering.
- Attend Point Blue and partner events; visit Point Blue field sites.
- Coordinate regular in-person information exchanges and other forms of communication between Advancement and program staff.
- Collaborate with Director of Communications to make use of information technologies and social media to advance Point Blue’s Advancement strategies and goals.
- Ensure timely reporting into Point Blue’s Raiser’s Edge database of donors, including all donor activities such as meetings, phone calls, solicitations, and acknowledgment of gifts.
- Perform other functions as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in a leadership role in Advancement and/or nonprofit organization preferred.
- Personal passion for conservation and the natural world.
- Proven ability to manage, mentor and inspire a high performing Advancement team.
- Success in securing multiple major gifts ($1,000,000+) from individuals, foundations, and/or corporations, and in managing fundraising campaigns.
- Proven ability to develop, implement, assess, and improve upon a successful, comprehensive donor program including major gifts, annual giving, events, grants, and membership.
- Demonstrated, successful track record of cultivating and stewarding funder and increasing donor giving over time.
- Understanding of planned giving and complex planned giving vehicles.
- Strong aptitude for strategic thinking, planning, assessment and follow through.
- Excellent and persuasive written and verbal communications skills.
- Able to facilitate inclusive, participatory and ongoing engagement of staff, board, donors and other partners.
- Great listener and contributor.
- Ability to translate complex concepts into motivational, easy-to-understand concepts and messages.
- Commitment to high performance teaming with desire to learn more.
- Excellent organizational skills including ability to frame meetings, articulate and implement actions and follow-through.
- Excellent attention to detail and aptitude for numbers while also able to communicate and inspire strategic, big picture vision and priorities.
- Proven ability to build and execute a plan to meet short- and long-term financial needs.
- Highly self-motivated and independent yet a consummate team player.
- In-depth understanding of and experience with Raiser’s Edge or similar fundraising database programs as well as demonstrated aptitude for Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of and experience with the conservation funding community.
- Ability to manage deadlines, prioritize, and work under pressure.
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced, goal-oriented work environment.
- Ability to laugh with others and at oneself.
Compensation and Benefits
Point Blue offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience, 100% medical and dental premium coverage, partial coverage of dependents (75%) including domestic partners, long term care insurance, vision, life insurance, short term and long term disability insurance coverage, as well as generous leave time and 401(k) Plan matching contribution.
Continuous sitting, fine finger movements, and visual capacity to work with/at a computer station for extended periods of time. Ability to work outside in conjunction with staff, donors and partners.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter, resume and salary expectations to: email@example.com. Please put “Advancement Director” in the subject line. Position will be open until filled.
Point Blue is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, citizenship status, disability status of an otherwise qualified individual, membership or application for membership in a uniformed service, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law and will make reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities to complete the application and/or participate in the interview process.