Point Blue Conservation Science (Point Blue) is searching for an experienced Controller. This is an extraordinary opportunity for a hands-on finance professional, with in-depth experience in complex non-profit finance, to provide strategic financial leadership at a time when Point Blue is poised for significant growth and global impact.
Reporting to the CFO, Point Blue’s Controller will lead all the day-to-day finance operations of a $14 million budget and supervise a team of four staff members. Functional responsibilities include managing the GL and the financial close (including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll), financial planning and budgets, grants administration, audit preparation and managing banking and vendor relationships. The Controller works closely with the staff and senior management and is involved in supporting the Finance and Audit committees of the Board. S/he is responsible for implementing systems and procedures that ensure appropriate internal controls, and risk management to conduct flawless audits and support effective program implementation.
Finance and Accounting Leadership
- Oversee all accounting and reporting systems to maintain the integrity and accuracy of the financial data and compliance with GAAP and regulatory standards.
- Manage the monthly and annual close cycles to generate timely, accurate and relevant financial statements. Consistently analyze financial data and clearly communicate financial results to help managers make optimal decisions.
- Maintain internal control safeguards for revenue receipts, expense payments, and program budgets to protect the organization from the risk of errors, fraud and security breaches.
- Coordinate the preparation for the single audit, 401(K) Plan audit and IRS 990 filings. Be the primary liaison with the external auditors through the audit process.
- Manage all program, project and grant accounting; ensure all expenditures consistent with approved grant and program budgets, compliant with the federal, state and local grant agreements and regulatory requirements such as the OMB Uniform Administrative Requirements. Manage the annual NICRA submission and negotiation.
- Assist the CFO and senior management in the budgeting and planning process; administer the budgeting workflow, mediate financial and program priorities, analyze variances and trends, and develop metrics to monitor and report on progress against annual and long-term goals. Expand the capabilities of the current Adaptive Insights implementation to provide planning tools that are useful and easy to use.
- Educate and support program staff in developing reliable budgets for public and private funding proposal.
- Support the CFO in engaging the Board’s audit and finance committees, to understand the organizations’ budget and financial performance trends and establish appropriate financial policies.
- Manage the accounting for reserves, donor-restricted funds and develop cash flow forecasting models to maintain financial stability and manage seasonal and long-term cash needs.
- Manage all Point Blue financial policies and procedures and maintain appropriate records and up-to-date documentation.
- Perform additional duties as requested by the CFO or CEO.
- Manage schedules and workload to meet deadlines, while holding the team to the highest standards for data integrity, information and analysis.
- Leverage the strengths of the current finance team and implement training programs in order to maximize individual potential and organizational priorities.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communication within the team and staff at all levels of the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Collaborate with the CFO, and senior leadership to better integrate finance in all administrative and programmatic aspects of the organization.
Strategic Financial Management
- Assist the CFO in setting and implementing Point Blue’s financial management goals.
- Identify new opportunities to improve efficiencies, eliminate backlogs and respond proactively to support program and staff needs.
- Work closely with the CFO to streamline current systems and leverage new information technology and products to maximize staff productivity and organizational contribution.
- Participate in the strategic planning process and define best operating models to achieve Point Blue’s strategic priorities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to Point Blue’s mission.
- Prior nonprofit financial experience with a successful record of accomplishment in a senior financial management role for at least 7 years. In depth knowledge of nonprofit accounting and grants management experience is essential. A CPA certification is a plus.
- Recognized success in developing systems to manage accounting and finance operations that promote high levels of collaborations with program and administrative staff.
- An accessible, visible and flexible management style that inspires trust and confidence in staff and brings out their best in the finance staff.
- Active listening skills and the ability to communicate complex financial concepts to all levels in the organization.
- Technology savvy with experience in selecting and implementing financial systems.
- Keen analytic skills and demonstrated resourcefulness in problem solving.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Compensation will be competitive and dependent on experience. This full time position receives a generous benefits package including employer paid medical and dental coverage, and 401k match.
LOCATION AND SCHEDULE:
This position is located in our Petaluma, California headquarters in beautiful Sonoma County. This is a full-time position and the job responsibilities do not allow for telecommuting.
WORKING CONDITION/PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT:
- Regularly sits at a desk or computer workstation
- Frequently move about the office to collaborate with colleagues
- Visual capacity to work with/at a computer station for extended periods.
- Occasional weekend and evening responsibilities
We comply with the ADA and consider reasonable accommodation measures that may be necessary for employees to perform essential functions.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, salary history and references to email@example.com.
Please put “Controller” in the subject line. Position will remain open until filled.
Point Blue is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, citizenship status, disability status of an otherwise qualified individual, membership or application for membership in a uniformed service, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law and will make reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities to complete the application and/or participate in the interview process.