Institutional Advancement Officer
This position is the perfect opportunity for a passionate, highly-driven fundraiser interested in developing successful, symbiotic philanthropic relationships with foundations and corporations to increase funding to achieve the time-critical, climate-smart conservation initiatives in Point Blue’s Strategic Plan.
Point Blue’s Institutional Advancement Officer will be responsible for securing foundations, corporations, and agency funding for our priority programs. Reporting to the Director of Institutional Philanthropy (Director), the Institutional Advancement Officer will help maintain foundation, corporation, and agency support at the current level of nearly $4 million annually. The Institutional Advancement Officer will work in partnership with members of the advancement team and across the organization on donor-centered fundraising strategies.
- Establishes strategy and objectives with the Director of Institutional Philanthropy (Director); implements efforts to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward corporate and foundation supporters to grow and achieve annual fundraising goals
- Executes objectives through coordinated research and strategy development with the Director, Advancement team, and Point Blue’s science staff leaders
- Reaches out to prospects and current/ongoing funders to facilitate meetings that may involve Advancement team members and/or Point Blue scientists
- Maintains and increases levels of support from current donors while bringing new funders
- Manages a portfolio of 40-50 current and prospective corporate and foundation funders; identifies and cultivates key prospective funders to diversify and deepen the donor pool; manages a pipeline of prospects
- Develops and maintains effective, long-term relationships with grantors; articulates and presents Point Blue programs and priorities; plans and implements events and meetings to introduce key contacts to conservation program experts and Point Blue leadership; facilitates funder cultivation and the grant approval process
- Gathers comprehensive and accurate information on the outcomes/impacts of funded activities; coordinates with science leads, finance, and other departments; communicates externally to funders; maintains accurate records in Raiser’s Edge and in donor files
- Creates and monitors revenue and expense budget for area of responsibility; coordinates with finance department to ensure proper recording of grant agreements and revenue
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Strong commitment to the mission of Point Blue; passionate about conservation, education, ecology, or natural resources
- At least 3 years of professional fundraising, grant/proposal writing experience in a non-profit setting, with record of success in generating significant commitments from corporations and foundations, or a combination of education and relevant professional experience, ideally for another conservation or scientific organization
- Experience conducting extensive prospect research; demonstrated aptitude for initiating and building relationships with prospective corporate and foundation donors
- Demonstrated ability to write successful five and six-figure grant proposals; ability to organize and synthesize complex scientific and technical information succinctly
- Knowledge of corporate and foundation fundraising strategies and techniques and the methods/procedures for obtaining information about the giving programs of these funders
- Proficient in MS Office Suite; effective and efficient data management experience (Raiser’s Edge preferred)
- Thorough knowledge of the local, regional, and national funding landscape
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; outstanding written and oral presentation skills
- Ability to manage multiple, simultaneous projects and deadlines while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Sense of humor and can-do attitude
Working Conditions / Physical Environment::
- Regularly sits at a desk or computer workstation
- Frequently moves about the office to collaborate with colleagues
- Visual capacity to work with/at a computer station for extended periods of time.
- Occasionally lifts, carries or otherwise moves objects weighing up to 30 lbs.
- Occasional weekend and evening responsibilities
- Periodic travel; locally / nationally, but predominately within California; must have valid driver’s license and safe driving record
- May walk on uneven ground while working off-site
How to Apply:
To apply, please go to “Schultz HR Consulting” and complete the application.
Point Blue is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, citizenship status, disability status of an otherwise qualified individual, membership or application for membership in a uniformed service, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law and will make reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities to complete the application and/or participate in the interview process.