Informatics Engineering Manager
Want to use your management and software talents in a job that will address key environmental issues of climate change, habitat loss and threats to our natural world?
We are looking for a curious, smart and enthusiastic person to lead our Informatics team in developing and supporting web applications and extensive databases in support of our scientific programs. We are a small team supporting a growing conservation science organization working on the most important problems of our time.
Reports to: Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
- Supervise, train, mentor, recruit and hire a strong and effective engineering team. With CTO, help raise and maintain quality standards for all aspects of software development across the team.
- Lead engineering projects, including setting project priorities and milestones, creating work assignments, manage deliverables, develop and manage schedules, and manage subcontractors.
- Manage Informatics contracts with administrative staff, including developing and fulfilling scopes of work and reporting, tracking budgets, and managing subcontracts. Develop cost estimates and task breakdowns with CTO for new proposals.
- Lead internal, partner and customer communications about our work, including management of issues tracking system and other feedback channels, researching issues, communicating with partners, and providing transparency to all Informatics operations.
- Present and communicate the Informatics work and the strategic direction of Point Blue, both in writing and in person, to Point Blue staff, partners and prospective clients.
- Help develop proposals and fundraise for Informatics-related projects across Point Blue. Help science staff develop proposal concepts that utilize technology. Develop estimates for new work. Communicate and negotiate with funders on scopes of work, timelines, budgets and deliverables.
- Participate, as needed, as a member of the Informatics engineering team, including involvement of all areas of software development such as user requirements and needs assessments, functional design, user-interaction design, technical design, graphic design, implementation, testing, documentation, release, revision control, and maintenance.
- Other responsibilities as may be determined with the CTO.
- Management experience overseeing a development team, with strong project management skills. Experience with agile a plus.
- 5+ years of management experience, with web full-stack development a plus.
- BS, BA or equivalent experience in computer science and/or area relevant to work at Point Blue (eg, ecology, geography, environmental planning). Masters degree a plus.
- A passion for the work of Point Blue in ecology and climate-smart conservation.
Experience in some areas of:
- SQL database experience (MySQL, PostgreSQL), including database administration and support, and use of object-relational mapping frameworks.
- Web mapping/GIS experience (OpenLayers, Google Map APIs, PostGIS and GDAL).
- Self-directed with a strong sense of curiosity, a good sense of humor, and a passion for excellence.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of field ecology, conservation and climate science a plus.
Our overarching strategic goal is to implement and test climate-smart conservation from the Sierra to the sea, and disseminate our approach and findings globally. We define climate-smart conservation as those strategies and actions that specifically address climate change and related environmental threats, promoting nature-based solutions that benefit wildlife and people. Climate-smart conservation enhances ecosystem services, improves the ability of nature and humans to adjust to change, reduces greenhouse gas emissions whenever possible, and sustains vibrant, diverse ecosystems.
Pay Rate, Benefits, Working Conditions and Funding
Salary is competitive, reflecting qualifications and experience. Point Blue offers generous benefits including three weeks of vacation for new employees, a 401(k) plan with employer match contribution, 100% health care and dental coverage for employees and partial coverage of dependents including domestic partners. Point Blue’s headquarters in Petaluma, California, will be the base location for the successful candidate. This position requires very occasional travel and involves working some weekends and evenings.
E-mail: (1) cover letter describing qualifications for this position and interest in Point Blue, (2) complete CV/resume, and (3) contact information (including phone numbers and e-mail addresses) for 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Informatics Engineering Manager” in the subject line. Applicants may be subject to background checks. The position will remain open until a successful candidate has been hired.
Point Blue is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, citizenship status, disability status of an otherwise qualified individual, membership or application for membership in an uniformed service, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law and will make reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities to complete the application and/or participate in the interview process.