At Point Blue, we are team of committed, passionate, conservation scientists, researchers, educators, fundraisers, and administrators. We all share a passion for making a difference in the health of our planet.
Please view our job postings and consider joining our team!
Point Blue Conservation Science seeks a dynamic and experienced fundraiser to create and execute a fundraising and communications plan to achieve the time-critical climate-smart initiatives in Point Blue’s recently adopted Strategic Plan. Point Blue has more than tripled in size over the past 12 years and is expected to continue growing over the next 5-10 years in response to the ever–increasing demand for sound science to assess and guide conservation investments in our rapidly changing world. If you have a demonstrated commitment to the highest levels of integrity and excellence, reflective of Point Blue’s core values—commitment to scientific rigor, collaboration, innovation, excellence, nature, complete integrity and shared responsibility—then please follow this link for more information on the position, and how to apply.
|↑ Back to Top|
Want to use your programming talents in a job that will address key environmental issues of climate change, habitat loss and environmental threats to our natural world?
We are looking for curious, smart, and enthusiastic people to join our Informatics team in developing and maintaining web applications and extensive databases in support of our scientific programs. We are a small team supporting a growing science organization working on the most important environmental issues of our time. The successful candidate will interact with Point Blue scientists and program developers, and with our partners, in a variety of projects that span the entire U.S. geography and beyond.
Point Blue Conservation Science advances the conservation of nature for wildlife and people through science, partnerships and outreach. Our scientists work closely with wildlife managers, private land owners, ranchers, farmers, other scientists, major conservation groups, and federal, state, and local government agencies and officials. Based in Petaluma, CA, Point Blue has more than tripled in size over the past 12 years and is expected to continue growing over the next 5-10 years in response to the ever–increasing demand for sound science to assess and guide conservation investments in our rapidly changing world.
Learn more about Point Blue at www.pointblue.org and the types of tools we build at www.pointblue.org/tools.
- Work as a member of our Informatics engineering team on a wide variety of projects.
- Code, debug, document and support software and database development projects as assigned.
- Provide online support for our existing customers and partners. Work with internal and external partners on new and ongoing projects.
- Gain exposure in all areas of software development, including requirements development, needs assessments, functional design, user-interaction design, graphic design, implementation, testing, documentation, release, revision control, and maintenance.
- SQL database experience (such as MySQL, PostgreSQL), including database administration and support. Programming with an object-relational mapping framework (such as Hibernate or Propel) a plus.
- Experience with web GIS and mapping development, such as OpenLayers, Google Map APIs, PostGIS and GDAL, a plus.
- 1+ years of web software development experience.
- BS, BA or equivalent college degree.
- A passion for wildlife, ecology, and conservation.
- Self-directed with a strong sense of curiosity and a passion for excellence.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Pay Rate, Benefits, Working Conditions and Funding
Salary is competitive, reflecting qualifications and experience. Point Blue offers a 401(k) plan with employer match contribution, 100% health care coverage, full dental care, and partial coverage of dependents including domestic partners. Point Blue headquarters in Petaluma, California, will be the base location for the successful candidate. This position might require very occasional travel (mostly in San Francisco / Sacramento area) and involve some weekends and evenings.
E-mail: (1) cover letter describing qualifications for this position and interest in Point Blue, (2) complete CV/resume, and (3) contact information (including phone numbers and e-mail addresses) for 3 references to David Adams (email@example.com) with “Informatics Engineer” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Applicants may be subject to background checks. Application deadline is October 17, 2014; the position will remain open until a successful candidate has been identified. Point Blue is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
|↑ Back to Top|