At Point Blue, we are team of committed, passionate, conservation scientists, researchers, educators, fundraisers, and administrators. We all share a passion for making a difference in the health of our planet.
Please view our job postings and consider joining our team!
Point Blue seeks a highly accomplished development professional to become its Director of Development (DOD) to lead the fundraising effort and contribute to the overall strategic management required to achieve its urgent goals.
Successful candidates will possess a record of significant and consistent fundraising success and demonstrated leadership in growing major gifts, planned giving, membership, communications and marketing programs. The DOD will lead collaborative planning, development and implementation of diversified fundraising and related communications strategies to support and advance Point Blue’s climate-smart conservation vision and goals.
The DOD will have an excellent track record in building and managing a development team as well as in working with other staff leaders, Board members and other donors to establish and achieve fundraising and organizational goals.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated success in building positive and nurturing working relations with staff, board members, major donors, foundation representatives and others. S/he will also have experience with the implementation and use of information technologies and social media to advance Point Blue’s development strategies and goals.
The DOD reports to and works in close partnership with the President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO). S/he oversees the Development Group and collaborates with the Management Team, Board of Directors, finance staff and others.
The DOD will have a demonstrated commitment to the highest levels of integrity and excellence, reflective of Point Blue’s core values so essential to our success. Our key values include commitment to scientific rigor, collaboration, innovation, excellence, nature, complete integrity and shared responsibility.
The DOD is responsible for the implementation and management of a diversified fund development program including individual giving, foundation relations, corporate and government agency proposal development, solicitation and reporting, membership development, marketing, and special events. The DOD will serve on Point Blue’s Management Team and participate regularly in Point Blue Board of Directors meetings.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Finalize a five-year campaign plan with the Development Team, other staff and Board of Directors to achieve our climate-smart conservation strategic plan fundraising goals (above ongoing operations development goals).
- Develop, implement, manage and assess outcomes of annual fundraising plans and goals, working with the Development team, the CEO, the Board of Directors as well as other Point Blue staff.
- Direct and actively participate in major donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, and ongoing stewardship.
- Oversee the management of Point Blue’s membership program, assess potential and develop growth strategies as determined.
- Increase unrestricted annual fund giving by developing strategies and implementing plans that will increase unrestricted revenue.
- Grow planned giving program to enhance Point Blue’s unrestricted reserve funds.
- Ensure timely reporting into Point Blue’s Raiser’s Edge data base of donors, including all donor activities such as meetings, phone calls, solicitations and acknowledgment of gifts.
- Supervise and strengthen Point Blue’s Development Team, including current staff position of Director of Strategic Program Development, Director of Individual Giving, Planned Giving Manager, Grants and Science Writer, Membership Manager, and Development Operations Manager.
- Revitalize and manage the Development Committee of the Board of Directors to identify and coordinate fundraising opportunities; work in close partnership with the Development Committee Chair and other board members in partnership with the President and CEO.
- Provide quarterly Development status reports (written and occasionally oral) for Board of Directors meetings.
- Ensure regular, high-quality communications with Board members, other major donors, general members and supporters, foundations, government agencies and others to consistently reflect the quality and excellence of Point Blue’s science.
- Prepare and manage annual Development budget.
- Oversee planning and implementation of donor events including donor recognition and appreciation events for major donors, planned giving donors and others.
- Attend Point Blue and partner events, visit Point Blue field sites, and meet with science and outreach staff as needed.
- Perform other functions as requested by the President and CEO.
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in development and/or nonprofit leadership positions with growing organizations and development teams.
- Success in personally securing multiple major gifts ($1,000,000+) from individuals, foundations and corporations.
- Proven ability to successfully develop, implement, assess and improve on a comprehensive giving program including major gifts, annual giving, events, grants and membership.
- Excellent communications skills including verbal, writing and public speaking skills.
- Success in persuasive, accurate writing.
- Experience preferred in translating science into motivational, easy-to-understand fundraising materials.
- Strong aptitude for strategic thinking and planning.
- Excellent attention to detail while also able to see and communicate strategic, big picture vision and priorities.
- Demonstrated track record of cultivating and stewarding donors and proven ability to increase donor investments over time.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Highly self-motivated and independent yet a consummate team player.
- Able to facilitate inclusive, participatory and ongoing engagement of staff, board, donors and other partners in development and organizational strategies.
- Proven ability to manage and retain a high performing team of development professionals.
- Knowledge of conservation community a plus.
- In-depth understanding of and experience with fundraising database programs (Raiser’s Edge preferred).
- Ability to manage deadlines, prioritize and work under pressure with a smile.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, goal-oriented work environment.
- Ability to laugh with others and at oneself.
- Person passion for conservation and the natural world.
Compensation and Benefits
Point Blue offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience, 100% medical and dental premium coverage, partial coverage of dependents including domestic partners, long term care insurance, optional vision, life insurance, short term and long term disability insurance coverage, as well as generous leave time and 401(k) Plan matching contribution, per conditions outlined in Point Blue’s personnel manual.
Email resumes to: email@example.com. Please include a cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications along with two recent writing samples and three references. No calls please. Point Blue is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Starting Salary Range: Very competitive, based on experience
Hours/Benefits: Full time with excellent benefits
Reports to: President and CEO
Location: Petaluma Headquarters
Position: Open until filled; ongoing review of applications
|↑ Back to Top|
One (1) bird survey technician needed to work on a study evaluating waterbird use of various crops in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta of California with Point Blue Conservation Science (formerly PRBO).
Duration: As soon as possible but by no later than mid-July 2014 through 15 March 2015 (Full-time, Temporary)
Primary duties include, but are not limited to: road-based surveys of waterbirds and their potential predators, data entry, spatial mapping with Google Earth, navigating the complex landscape of the Delta in a full size truck, and engaging with landowners about the study and resources available to them to practice bird-friendly agriculture. Surveys occur mainly from public roads but also on private land and state or federal reserves. Accessing some sites will require interacting with private landowners. Surveys are conducted all day and under varying weather conditions such as extreme heat in summer to cold and damp in the winter. Must be flexible, as inclement weather (extended fog, rain) may delay surveys and some weekend work may be necessary.
Compensation: $3,200/month plus health benefits. Some field equipment will be provided, although applicants should have their own binoculars. Technician will preferably reside somewhere between Tracy/Manteca (in south) and Davis/Sacramento (in north).
Transportation: Must have a personal vehicle (preferably 4WD, mileage reimbursed at $0.56/mile) but access to a Point Blue 4WD will be available for most survey work. This position requires significant driving (up to 6-8 hours per day).
- All successful candidates must be able to identify by sight (and occasionally sound) all waterbird and raptor species regularly observed in California including ducks, geese, shorebirds, waders, cranes, marsh birds, hawks, falcons.
- Preference will be shown to candidates who have experience estimating the size of large flocks of birds, interacting with rural landowners, navigating using maps and GPS, and data entry with MS Access.
- We require self-motivation, a positive attitude, the ability to cope with inclement weather, willingness to spend long hours in the field observing birds, and the ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Successful applicants will need a valid U.S. driver’s license and will be asked to provide information to verify their good driving record.
To apply: email a single document (PDF [preferred] or Word Doc) including a cover letter describing previous survey and landowner interaction experience and interest in this position, specific dates of availability, a CV or resume, and contact information for 3 references to KRISTIN SESSER (firstname.lastname@example.org), with the subject line “Delta Tech”. Applications will be reviewed as they are received until position is filled.
|↑ Back to Top|