Restoration Field Technician
Assist with maintenance and establishment of one of Sonoma County’s largest habitat restoration projects at Tolay Lake Regional Park
Over the past 5 years Point Blue’s STRAW program (Students & Teachers Restoring A Watershed) has restored 3 miles of riparian habitat along Tolay Creek. Working closely with a small team of Restoration Technicians and a Project Manager, the Tolay Restoration Field Technician will focus on facilitating native plant establishment, maintaining existing plants, and supporting natural regeneration of native vegetation.
Location: Petaluma, CA
Reports to: Isaiah Thalmayer, Straw Project Manager
Project Dates: April - September (start and end dates may be flexible)
Schedule: 24-32 hours/week from April-June, then 8-24 hours/week from June-September
Status: Non Exempt, Temporary
Benefits: 24 hours Sick Leave
Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
- Repairing and operating drip irrigation systems
- Installing plant protectors on naturally regenerating trees
- Weeding and repairing plant protectors around existing plants
- Self-motivation and willingness to work independently for long hours in the field, early in the morning and in hot weather
- Prior experience with manual field labor (such as landscaping, restoration, farming, ranching)
- Ability to work up to 5 days a week in the field, and lift 40 lbs.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, see below.
- Valid California Driver’s license
- Ability to safely drive off road, tow trailers and operate company-owner vehicles and equipment
- Prior horticultural experience (i.e. farming/gardening, nursery, landscaping, arborist)
- Experience operating ATV or UTV
- 2 or 4 year degree in horticulture, botany, biology, ecology, restoration, or related field. And/or equivalent work experience in related fields.
Project Dates and Schedule:
Actual work schedule will vary with work load. Approximate seasonal schedule is 24-32 hours per week mid-April through mid -June, then 8-24 hours per week mid-June – September. Start and end dates are flexible, but start date will be no later than May 15th, and end date no later than October 15st.
Compensation: $20.00/per hour
How to Apply:
Send a single document (PDF preferred, or Word Doc) including, 1) a cover letter describing previous experience and interest in this position, 2) a resume, 3) contact information for three references to Isaiah Thalmayer (firstname.lastname@example.org). In the subject line type: Field Technician Application. The position will remain open until successful candidate(s) has been identified. Timely application will ensure better chances of being considered.
Point Blue is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, citizenship status, disability status of an otherwise qualified individual, membership or application for membership in a uniformed service, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law and will make reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities to complete the application and/or participate in the interview process.