Snowy Plover Monitoring Technician
Help continue a 30 year study of breeding snowy plover ecology on Monterey Bay with Point Blue and many partners, such as the United States Fish & Wildlife Service, California Department of Parks & Recreation, and California Department of Fish & Wildlife.
Project Summary: Working closely with partners, Point Blue biologists gather data which are used to formulate conservation actions designed to improve productivity, sustain the plover population, promote ecosystem health and prepare for the impacts of climate change. Visit the Snowy Plover Conservation web page to learn more.
Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
- Reading color bands of Snowy Plover adults and chicks
- Nest searching and monitoring
- Brood monitoring
- Predator monitoring
- High volume data entry and management
- Work in collaboration with partner agencies involved in conservation and management efforts
Project Duration: April 1, 2017 to August, 31, 2017 (start & end date may be flexible)
Schedule: Full time, 8 hours per day / 40 hours per week; generally Monday to Friday and may work some weekends.
Compensation and Status: Rate is $17.00 per hour. Position is nonexempt. Overtime may not be worked, unless approved in advance. If overtime occurs, California overtime laws apply.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Undergraduate degree in conservation biology, ecology, environmental science, environmental policy and planning, or other related field, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 3 years of experience collecting avian field data
- Previous field experience with nest searching, reproductive monitoring, bird handling and/or banding are highly desirable.
- Possession of valid federal monitoring permit for snowy plovers is highly desirable.
- Previous experience with high volume data entry and management.
- Excellent inter-personal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have a passion for nature and conservation.
- Requires ability to work long hours, outdoors under variable weather and mobility over various terrains, including soft sand.
- Must have own car and valid driver’s license.
To apply: Send a single document (PDF preferred, or Word Doc) including a cover letter describing previous experience and interest in this position, specific dates of availability, a resume, and contact information for three references to KRISS NEUMAN (email@example.com). In the subject line type: Snowy Plover Monitoring Technician 2017. Only those qualified applicants who we desire to interview will be contacted. Qualified candidates will be hired as they are identified.
Point Blue is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, citizenship status, disability status, membership or application for membership in a uniformed service, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law and will make reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified, to complete the application and/or participate in the interview process.