Bird Education and Awareness in Communities (BEAC) Project
In this program, Point Blue has been providing hands-on bird-themed science programs including both classroom and field activities for 1st - 5th grade students in the Canal Community of San Rafael, CA since 2004. In 2012, BEAC became part of our STRAW Program and involved students in a wetland/upland transition zone habitat restoration at Pickleweed Park!
The goals of the BEAC Project are to:
- teach scientific observation skills,
- bridge a connection between 4th and 5th grade students in the Canal Community of San Rafael, CA and the ecology of their community park, Pickleweed Park,
- increase knowledge and awareness of the local birds, habitats, and the benefit of habitat restoration at Pickleweed Park among community members,
- present future career options in science, and
- educate and inspire a new generation of scientists.
We work with the students and teachers of Bahia Vista Elementary and other local k-12 schools, the Directors of the local Catholic Charities CYO after school program, the Director of the Albert J. Borro Community Center, San Rafael City officials, The Canal Alliance and more.
We are deeply grateful to the USDA Forest Service and the Marin Community Foundation for supporting our bird science programs in the Canal Community of San Rafael, CA.