For Birders, Nature Lovers, Homeowners
The following resources contain tips for identifying, understanding, and helping birds and other animals at home and while enjoying nature.
Note: In times of drought, landscaping with native plants is a great way to improve the health of our soils, save water, and create wildlife habitat.
Nature lovers, birders, and homeowners
- Discovering Birds in Point Reyes – A book about the places and tips for finding birds in the Point Reyes National Seashore by Rich Stallcup and Melissa Pitkin, can be ordered from the Bear Valley Visitor Center Bookstore office at (415) 663-8674, or you can purchase a copy from the Point Reyes National Seashore Association bookstore.
- Being the Best Nestbox Landlord for Birds in the West – A handout with tips on how to build, maintain and monitor nest boxes for western cavity nesting species.
- Safe Nest Boxes for Owls in the West- A handout with tips on how to build, maintain and monitor owl nest boxes.
- Barn Owl nest box handout (coming soon) – A handout with tips on how to build, install and maintain nest boxes for Barn Owls.
- How to Help Quail on Your Farm or Ranch- A handout on how to attract and support quail on farms, ranches or in yards.
- Habitat Enhancement Guide Marin and Sonoma - An easy-to-use guide to habitat restoration and enhancement for riparian and oak woodland habitats in Marin and Sonoma Counties, California.
- Habitat Enhancement Guide Sacramento Valley - An easy-to-use guide to habitat restoration and enhancement describing practical steps that landowners and land managers can take to improve bird habitat in the Sacramento Valley.
- Safe Bird Feeding – A tip sheet discussing the actions you can take to keep birds at your feeder safe from disease and predators.
- Birds on West Coast Beaches– A two page outreach handout discussing the challenges birds face while nesting on beaches, and tips for helping them survive.
- Waterbird ID Card – A two sided identification card to some of the most common waterbirds in California
- Waterbirds of the Klamath Basin– A two sided identification card to the common waterbirds of the Klamath Basin.
- Birds of Alcatraz– An identification card to the waterbirds found on Alcatraz Island.
- Pocket guide to Sierra Nevada Birds PDF- A pocket-sized guide to common birds of the Sierra Nevada, containing tips for their protection and conservation.
- Pocket guide to Sagebrush Birds PDF – A pocket-sized guide to common birds of the sagebrush habitats, containing tips for their protection and conservation.
- Pocket guide to SF Bay birds PDF - A pocket-sized guide to common birds of San Francisco Bay, containing tips for their protection and conservation.
- Pocket guide to Beach Birds of California PDF –A pocket-sized guide to common birds of California’s beaches, and tips for their protection and management.
- Restoration works– A handout summarizing our science showing that habitat restoration works for protecting bird populations.
- Focus series by Rich Stallcup – The Focus series is a collection of articles on birding, bird identification and other natural history notes, written by Rich Stallcup.
- Field Guide to Birds of the Northern California Coast by Rich Stallcup (Author), Jules Evens (Author), Keith Hansen (Illustrator)- Late Point Blue Naturalist Rich Stallcup contributed his wealth of knowledge in many ways, and one of his last works has recently been published. Birds of the Northern California Coast is a comprehensive ecological overview of this extensive and diverse region. This work is one of the latest in the UC Press Natural History Guides series.