Do you have AWS experience and want to apply this in Conservation Science? Are you a skilled communicator and want to work in Security? Point Blue is seeking an Informatics Operations and Security Manger to be the go to person for everything DevOps and manage FedRAMP. This is your opportunity to work for an organization who is making a difference in climate-smart conservation. If this position speaks to you, contact us at email@example.com.
About Point Blue
Point Blue Conservation Science (Point Blue, formerly PRBO), based in Petaluma, California, is a growing and internationally renowned nonprofit with over 160 staff and scientists. Founded in 1965 and working from California to Antarctica, we advance conservation of nature for wildlife and people through science, partnerships, and outreach. Our scientists work closely with wildlife managers, private land owners, ranchers, farmers, other scientists, major conservation groups, and federal, state, and local government agencies. Our highest priority today is to increase the pace, scale, and impact of climate-smart conservation.
The Informatics Operations & Security Manager will manage all aspects of service delivery and website/systems reliability and scalability including reporting, configuration and build, testing, planning, and deployment of solutions. This person will be accountable for all aspects of deployment and technical operations including technical project resources scheduling, risk management, internal and external communications, status reporting, and resource management reporting of the AWS system. Responsible for security related to the Point Blue Science Cloud, including leading incident responses and collaboration with our outside IT vendor.
Essential Functions: DevOps: 60%
- Design, document, and continually update DevOps processes and procedures, and establish DevOps best practices.
- Build, deploy, and maintain tools, solutions and applications associated with our Point Blue Science Cloud, ensuring standards are met and errors reduced.
- Responsible for regularly updating components in the cloud environment.
- Responsible for administering Amazon Web Services, including managing server instances, storage, networks, load balancing and more in AWS.
- Responsible for adding and maintaining layers of tools to deployed servers, operating systems, and software.
- Collaborate with Informatics Engineering Manager and Informatics Team to deploy and keep servers up to date.
- Automate our operational processes as needed, with accuracy and in compliance with our security requirements in compliance with FedRAMP.
- Collaborate with Science staff on using Amazon Web Services efficiently and cost-effectively to run their own projects.
- Manage code deployments, fixes, updates and related processes.
- Offer technical support to our science staff where needed, developing software for our back-end systems.
- Stay current with industry trends and source new ways for our organization to improve in delivering conservation through technology.
- Manage FedRAMP security controls, policies, and procedures to ensure Point Blue provides a standardized approach to security assessment, authorization, and continuous monitoring for cloud products and services.
- Facilitate and verify FedRAMP evidence and artifacts monthly and annually per FedRAMP continuous monitoring requirements.
- Manage AWS security-related vendor contracts.
- Contribute FedRAMP-specific input and assist with FedRAMP pre-audit and post-audit activities including the 3PAO and Security Assessment Report.
- Maintain Fish & Wildlife Service IRTM sponsorship relationship, and any future sponsorship relationships.
- Manages various stages of an audit engagement, including planning, fieldwork, reporting, and follow-up activities.
- Manage stackArmor weekly reports and remediation.
- Develop and communicate reports back to FedRAMP.
- Leading the response to security incidents which includes the first assessment of the threat level to determine what the response and measures Point Blue will be taking.
- Ensure project documents are complete, current, and stored appropriately by maintaining document repository for FedRAMP.
- Keep track of FedRAMP updates and changes to ensure compliance.
- Participate and lead meetings specific to assigned projects, including supporting meetings in the absence of other team members representing Point Blue as required.
- Collaborate and work alongside Human Resources for privileged users in the Point Blue cloud for FedRAMP onboarding.
- Provide training for both new employees, and ongoing training for privileged users required to be a part of FedRAMP.
- Catalog evidentiary artifacts.
- Lead project funding proposals and grant development when needed
- Participate in Informatics meetings (daily standups, sprint planning, others), as well as Point Blue
None currently, but may manage staff in the future.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge and experience in DevOps.
- Strong Amazon Web Services skills.
- Thorough experience with databases such as SQL
- Experience with project management and workflow tools such as Jira
- Thorough knowledge of project management practices and demonstrated ability to run a project from concept through maintenance.
- Skills estimating time and resources required for costing out new projects.
- Ability to interact and influence project stakeholders.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated success in clearly and concisely translating science to diverse audiences via public speaking and written materials
- Excellent organizing skills (personal, organizational)
- Self-directed and highly motivated team player with good sense of humor
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence and integrity in all aspects of work
- Committed to climate-smart conservation
Preferred Education and Experience:
This position requires a combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field; and 4-7 years of experience in DevOps or related field.
Due to the nature of this role’s responsibilities, U.S. citizenship is a requirement.
Work Environment & Physical Requirements:
- This position operates in a professional office environment
- Routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, and filing cabinets
- Work environment is indoors with majority of time spent sitting at a desk
- Ability to stand, bend, stoop, sit, walk, twist and turn
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds occasionally
- Ability to use a computer keyboard and calculator
Position Type, Expected Hours of Work, and Travel:
- This is a full-time position
- Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm
- Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand
- This position has very limited travel requirements, mainly opportunities to experience conservation science field work.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to: jobs@pointblue. Please use “Informatics Ops & Security Manager” in the subject line. Position will be open until filled.