Point Blue is searching for a conservation-minded team member to be our Contracts & Grants Accountant. The ideal candidate is knowledgeable about contract execution, grant agreements, pre- and post-award administration, and compliance. This position is based out of our Petaluma office located next to beautiful Schollenberger Park (a 165-acre wetland park home to 225 species of birds)
The Contract & Grants Accountant will work on phases of the grants and contracts administration processing including, but not limited to, supporting with proposal development, submission and awards administration, plus helping with the maintenance and monitoring of budgets. As the Contract & Grants Accountant you will maintain relationships with designated external funding managers and program officers and will help compile financial and non-financial data for the preparation of internal reports, compliance reports, and grant billings.
About Point Blue Conservation Science:
Point Blue is proud to be a “boots on the ground” conservation science organization. We work from the Sierra to the sea, across the Western Hemisphere and as far away as Antarctica, preparing for the changes—and challenges—ahead.
Point Blue’s 160 scientists work to reduce the impacts of climate change, habitat loss, and other environmental threats. We have curated and shared over one billion ecological observations from science professionals and citizen scientists. We are turning decades of data and knowledge into game-changing conservation actions. Our research helps to educate and inform partners such as federal (forest service, fish & wildlife), local and state government agencies, water managers, farmers, ranchers. We understand that real solutions come from working together. Learn more about us by exploring this website.
- Administers all contracts and subcontracts and grants; prepares and submits contract and grant reports
- Ensures all designated fiscal reports are prepared and submitted in accordance with contract or grant requirements
- Verifies general ledger details that reflects program activity; submits invoices for timely payments; compiles and organizes receipts and timesheets for all contract invoices that require documentation
- Collaborates with finance team to maintain documentation of contract balances and expenditures; manages calendar to track grant requirements and deliverables
- Maintains contract files in accordance with government regulations and Point Blue’s policies
- Liaisons with designated funders on all financial matters; negotiates agreements, contract terms, modifications, and manages all contract related documentation
- Reviews and approves budgets submitted to external agencies; tracks and reports on an ongoing basis
- Reviews vendor contracts for compliance and recommends modifications; ensures payments to sub-recipients and vendors comply with grant requirements
- Reviews and provides approval for specific sub-awards
- Prepares and reviews subcontractor contracts; maintains files and tracking systems; prepares monthly schedule of payments to subcontractors
- Collaborates with cross-functional teams to develop proposals to ensure budgets are realistic, and narratives are in line with the budget; partners with program staff to ensure funding is used in an optimal way
- Establishes budget requirements; ensures Point Blue’s budgeting standards are met; monitors and reports use of funds to awarding agency
- Develops internal and external relationships to foster understanding and effective communication of Point Blue’s programs and their relevance to the outcomes in the strategic plan
- Attends meetings with finance and program staff to review spending against contracts and grants; completes budget updates, and schedules invoicing
- Tracks and accounts for fixed assets and other real and personal property
- Assists with annual insurance renewals with insurance broker to approve insurance provisions of contracts and obtain COIs
- Monitors and reviews restricted grant funding and contract billing; prepares monthly revenue recognition and release-from-restriction journal entries for Controller’s review
- Assists in maintaining and developing the internal ACCESS contracts database
- Generates e-files through binder application for all contracts and grant files
Education, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field
- 5 years of experience in contract/grant administration including success managing complex grants and contracts from conception to conclusion
- Strong knowledge of Federal OMB CFR-200 requirements
- Knowledge of GAAP Accounting practices and procedures; experience in cost accounting and financial management systems
- Knowledge of various government agencies and systems and navigating these systems for proposal submission and payment processing
- Experience working with federal grants or cooperative agreements
- Experience with creating fiscal budgets; ability to collaborate with internal teams and influence budget decisions
- Demonstrated experience evaluating internal controls
- Superior problem-solving skills and the ability to exercise effective professional judgment
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and writing skills
- Thrives on internal and external customer service; enjoys collaborating with a diverse multi-cultural team
- Able to be self-motivated and thrives in a fast-paced environment with multiple projects while meeting tight deadlines
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to: PointBlueCSJobs@gmail.com; please put Contracts & Grants Accountant” in the subject line.
Point Blue is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, citizenship status, disability status of an otherwise qualified individual, membership or application for membership in a uniformed service, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law and will make reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities to complete the application and/or participate in the interview process.