Are you a funding management maestro? Point Blue is seeking a Contracts and Grants Manager to be the go to person for everything Contract and Grant related, including budgets, reporting, invoicing and monitoring spenddowns. Reporting to the Controller, you will work with the Finance and Administration staff, Program Managers, and other program specialists in the organization.
Point Blue Conservation Science (Point Blue, formerly PRBO), based in Petaluma, California, is a growing and internationally renowned nonprofit with over 160 staff and seasonal scientists. Founded in 1965 and working from California to Antarctica, we advance conservation of nature for wildlife and people through science, partnerships, and outreach. Our scientists work closely with wildlife managers, private land owners, ranchers, farmers, other scientists, major conservation groups, and federal, state, and local government agencies. Our highest priority today is to increase the pace, scale, and impact of climate-smart conservation.
Manages all phases of contracts and grants administration, budgeting and compliance. Collaborates on contract and grant proposal development, proposal submission and pre- and post-award administration. Maintains relationships with external funding managers and program officers. Coordinates the implementation of sub-awards and ensures post-award compliance. Helps compile financial and non-financial data for the preparation of internal reports, compliance reports, and grant billings.
Financial Administration: 60%
- Administer all contracts and subcontracts and grants
- Ensure all required fiscal reports are prepared and submitted in accordance with contract or grant requirements.
- Verify general ledger detail accurately reflects program activity and submit accurate invoices to ensure Point Blue receives timely payments.
- Prepare and submit contract & grant reports, as required.
- In collaboration with finance team, maintain appropriate documentation of contract balances and expenditures and manage calendar to track grant requirements and deliverables.
- Maintain contract files (e.g. contracts, correspondence, modifications, and data deliverables) in accordance with government regulations and Point Blue’s policies.
- Ensure Point Blue receives timely payments from partners
o Weekly monitoring of accounts receivable collections
o Perform appropriate follow up regarding aged receivables
o Prepare monthly accounts receivable invoice and receipts journals for Controller’s review
- Act as Point Blue’s liaison with funders on all financial matters.
o Negotiate agreements, contract terms, modifications, and manage all contract related documentation.
o Review and approves budgets submitted to external agencies.
o Review vendor contracts for compliance and recommend modifications as needed.
- Responsible for ensuring that payments to sub-recipients and vendors comply with grant requirements.
o Review sub-award procedures to ensure compliance and recommend changes as necessary.
o Review and provide approval for specific sub-awards.
- Monitor and review restricted grant funding and contract billing to prepare monthly revenue recognition and release-from-restriction journal entries for Controller’s review.
- Maintain the Schedule of Federal Expenditures for the A-133 audit. Represent Point Blue in annual A-133 audit and other federal agency reviews.
- Research and interpret government regulations as they apply to contracts and advise program managers of contractual rights, responsibilities and obligations. Monitor contracts for compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and corporate policies and initiate corrective action as required.
- Assist in the identification, development, implementation and maintenance of best practices, policies, procedures and guidelines and provide training to program staff as required to ensure compliance.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams developing proposals to ensure budgets are realistic, and narratives are in line with the budget. Establish budget requirements, ensure Point Blue’s budgeting standards are met, and determine how to monitor and report use of funds to awarding agency.
- Develop relationships internally and externally to foster understanding and effective communication of Point Blue’s programs and their relevance to the outcomes in the strategic plan.
- Partner with program staff to ensure funding is used in optimal way, including timing of releases and to strategically direct project resources.
- Attend periodic meetings with finance and program staff to review spending against contracts and grants, complete budget updates, and schedule invoicing.
Other Duties as Assigned: 10%
- Perform special projects and research as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of Federal OMB CFR-200 requirements.
- Knowledge of GAAP Accounting practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of government branch administration and how to effectively navigate the various systems for proposal and payment processing.
- Experience working with federal grants or cooperative agreements.
- Experience with creating fiscal budgets.
- Demonstrated experience evaluating internal controls.
- Excellent verbal and listening skills; strong oral presentation ability.
- Experience in cost accounting and financial management systems.
- Strong business-writing skills.
- Proficient user of Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Possess personal initiative and work collaboratively as a member of a diverse, multi-cultural team.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and writing skills and the ability to exercise effective professional judgment.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with internal teams and influence budget decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to perform as team leader, be self-motivated, be resourceful and must be able to effectively manage multiple tasks with conflicting priorities on time.
Preferred Education and Experience:
This position requires a combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field; and 5 years of experience in grant administration experience including success managing complex grants and contracts from conception to conclusion.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to: email@example.com. Please use “Contacts & Grants Manager” in the subject line. Position will be open until filled.
Point Blue is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, disability status of an otherwise qualified individual, membership or application for membership in an uniformed service, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law and will make reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities to complete the application and/or participate in the interview process.